How It Began
The Moon Made Me Do It was founded in Guatemala City, 2019 and is now located in Scotland. We aim to partner with artisans across the globe to support ethical design and artisanal crafts.
We love the mystical imagery of the night sky, and everyone in the world connects with the moon. It’s a constant in our lives, and regardless of location, it’s one thing we have in common.
The first partner company is UPAVIM, and we currently stock a selection of their handcrafted designs, made by women, for women. We hope you love them as much as we do. UPAVIM is a Women’s Co-operative & Social Enterprise in what's referred to as a "Red Zone” of Guatemala. La Esperanza is a former slum which suffers from gang violence and poverty.
We want to make a difference, and by buying from this UPAVIM range- you support:
- A team of 80 artisan women.
- A Kindergarten for babies and toddlers.
- Children’s Education from Pre-School Montessori to First grade through to Sixth grade.
- An English language programe.
- Longer hours in school which keeps children off the streets in a vulnerable area.
- A local female-run printing company producing our labels and packaging
- An independent Guatemalan start-up providing shipping services
- And The Moon Made Me Do It, with your support, we can grow this community.